Tuesday 19 May 2009

Enabling JSLint in Aptana Studio

JSLint (http://www.jslint.com) is a pretty cool tool that allows you to validate your javascript code and find common bugs, style issues and pitfalls. Until recently, I was pasting my javascript code into JSLint from time to time, fixing some of the issues and then pasting it back into JSLint, ...

I have now however found a way of enabling the JSLint Validator inside Aptana Studio, which is the IDE in which I write all of my JavaScript code.

You can enable it by doing:

- Open Aptana Studio- Go to Window > Preferences
- Go to Aptana > Editors > JavaScript > Validation in the left hand menu
- Check "JSLint JavaScript Validator"- Hit OK- Go to Window > Show View > Validation
- You'll see the Validation on the bottom right of the screen- Now also click Toggle Information and Toggle Warnings (found on the top left corner of the validation pane)
- You're all set. JSLint will warn you whilst writing code

This is super useful, because I can now track JSLint issues while I'm writing the code, which should improve productivity!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the suggestion. For future reference, in Aptana Studio 3, this has moved to Aptana > Validation > JavaScript > JSLint JavaScript Validator

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enabled it but I could not see Validation in Show Views menu

    ReplyDelete
  3. The "Validation" view as far as I can tell is now called "Problems".

    ReplyDelete